Collectibles-General (Antiques)/3 Scales

Pitney Bowes
Pitney Bowes  
QUESTION: Bill and Jan:

I have 3 scales.

1. A Toledo Scale from my family business - The model style is 311821FO and the serial # is 95560.

2. A package scale - Pitney Bowes S-120 - NO. 19676.

3. Triner Scale and MFG, Chicago Ill. very small - great condition

Could you advise me on value and age? pictures attached.

Your Toledo might date from the 1920s to the 1940s. The Pitney Bowes dates to the 1960s and historical information on the Triner Scale Company may be found on their web site here: .

The Toledo is not of much value to collectors who find them too large and heavy. Its value might be in the manufacturing sector where it could be useful as a parts counter which was its intended use. Retail value might be $200-$400.

The Pitney Bowes is not very desirable to collectors as most like earlier scales. Retail value might be $25-$40.

Without a photo we can't value the Triner as the company manufactured a wide range of scales.

Hope this helps.

Weigh Daily!!!

Bill & Jan Berning

QUESTION: Thank you - suprised at the value of the Toledo scales for the capacity of it - thought it would be worth significantly more.

Attached is the Triner picture...

Best Tim

Hi Tim,

The Triner is a postal scale with a brass beam, plate and poise weight. These scales were used extensively by the US Postal Service and yours dates from the 1920s-1930s. Retail value might be $25-$50 with original paint like yours has.

Hope this helps.

Weigh Daily!!!

Bill & Jan Berning

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

Bill & Jan Berning

We can answer almost any question regarding antique scales of any type.

We are dealers in antique coin operated penny scales and parts. We collect antique scales of all types. Bill has been buying and selling scales and mail order penny scale parts since 1983. Jan started collecting small scales of all types in 1977. Our combined collection of antique scales contains over 2200 scales. We are the authors of the book Scales: A Collector's Guide and The revised & Expanded 2nd Edition of Scales: A Collector's Guide. Jan is the editor of "Equilibrium" the journal of The International Society of Antique Scale Collectors. Our website is

The International Society of Antique Scale Collectors, Coin Operated Collectors Association

Articles by or about the Bernings have appeared in issues of “Southeastern Antiquing and Collecting Magazine”, “This Old House”, "Reminisce", “Equilibrium” and “Country Living”.

Jan: BS FACS & Art University of Georgia