Collectibles-General (Antiques)/Antique Tiger Oak Rocker

Question
Antique Tiger Oak Rocker
Antique Tiger Oak Rock  

Bottom of Antique Rocker
Bottom of Antique Rock  
I think we have an old tiger oak rocker.  Would like to know it's age and worth.  Thank you.

Answer
Leticia - That is a great looking chair. It is in fact made of "tiger oak." Tiger eye oak or cat's eye oak is the colloquial name used for white oak (Quercus alba) that has been quarter sawn. Quarter sawing is a method of cutting an oak log that produces the distinctive grain pattern seen in the wood. Quarter sawing is further explained and illustrated in my book “HOW TO BE A FURNITURE DETECTIVE” (www.furnituredetective.com)

The rocker is part of the "Golden Oak" period of American furniture from around 1880 to 1920. Your chair was made around 1900. It was factory made in the Midwest, probably Grand Rapids or Chicago.

It is one of the best examples of the period I have seen in years and would probably qualify as an entry in the book by Nancy Schiffer "The Best of Golden Oak Furniture."
http://www.amazon.com/Best-Golden-Oak-Furniture-Details/dp/0764311476/ref=sr_1_2

Unfortunately in today's depressed market the rocker would sell at auction only in the $100-$200 range.

Thanks for writing.

Fred Taylor
www.furnituredetective.com
info@furnituredetective.com

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

Fred Taylor