Collectibles-General (Antiques)/E&T Fairbanks & Co measure

Question
one
one  

two
two  
HI,
i have an E&T Fairbanks & Co measure that I bought at a garage sale a few years ago, and I just recently became interested in getting some info on it.

It is 5 1/2" tall, with a diameter of 3 7/8". the handle is 5 1/8" tall, and sticks out 2 1/2" .

the handle and bottom appear to be brass, while the body is more dull, possibly copper?

It is stamped "E&T Fairbanks & Co St Johnsbury VT". there is also a small "3" stamped on the upper ring.

I'm interested in finding out how old it is, what it would have been used for, and of course, what it's worth.
thanks, Josh

Answer
Hi Josh,

Banded measures, like yours were for liquids and were available in both brass and copper, with and without handles, in the early 1900s. We found a set of 6 selling for $39 for brass or $46 for copper in our 1908 catalog. We Measures like yours are hard to find and desirable to collectors. Retail value might be $100-$400 depending on volume.

Hope this helps.

Weigh Daily!!!

Bill & Jan Berning

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

Bill & Jan Berning