Collectibles-General (Antiques)/LADDER BACK CHAIR

Question
pair of ladder back chairs
pair of ladder back ch  

1 ladder back chair
1 ladder back chair  
HELLO FRED,

RECENTLY WENT TO AN ESTATE SALE & FOUND THESE CHAIRS "TOSSED" ON PILES AND PILES OF ITEMS IN IT'S GARAGE. MY HUSBAND IS INTERESTED IN FIXING THEM UP BUT WE WOULD LIKE SOME INFORMATION, SUCH AS, IT'S STYLE & AGE, BEFORE PUTTING IN THE WORK.  I PERSONALLY DON'T THINK IT WOULD BE WORTH THE HASTLE BUT HE LIKES THEM. CAN YOU PLEASE HELP?? THANKS SO MUCH!!

Answer
Angie - The chairs are from the "Golden Oak" period of American furniture, 1880-1920. That is also considered to be the style. These were factory made just after the turn of the 20th century. The chairs are said to be a “press back” chairs. The design in the back was not carved. It was made by the impression of a sharp steel die under great pressure that was rolled across the surface of the wood. The design was literally pressed into the wood.

Restoration will be a major project. They need to be stripped, repaired, recaned or reupholstered and refinished. If the chairs are loose and wobbly the repair will be the difficult part. They need to be knocked a part completely and rebuilt joint by joint, no shortcuts.

When done they will be very handsome chairs and will be worth about $25 -$50 each at auction. It's a lot of work for a $50 chair but if you like the chairs you will have some vintage pieces of American history.

Sears sold similar chairs in the 1902 catalog for $.99.

Good luck and thanks for writing.

Fred Taylor
www.furnituredetective.com
info@furnituredetective.com  

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

Fred Taylor