Collectibles-General (Antiques)/Late 1800 Wicker High Chair

Question
High Chair
High Chair  

Main seat
Main seat  
I recently purchased this wicker high chair at a sale it is in reasonably great shape I was told it was to be from the late 1800s.  Would you have any idea of its timeframe or manufacture?  I have not been able to find anything out there that even resmbles this chair and I there appears to be no appraisers near my location.  Any information would be much appreciated

Answer
Hi Matthew,

What a lovely wicker youth or child's highchair you have there! Did you get a good deal on it? If you can find no label anywhere on the chair, it makes determining the correct manufacturer difficult unless you can find the exact chair listed in a manufacturer's catalog of course.

I'm not surprised that you couldn't find a certified wicker furniture appraiser near you, since there are very, very few of them around qualified to appraise wicker in the whole United States. What state are you located in, by the way?

I am not an appraiser myself, but did quickly look through my reference books and could not locate this exact chair, sorry. But going from what I can see in the two pictures; the ball and stick design on the back, the set in close-woven cane seat, round reed loops, the patina and original stain and varnish finish, I would place this piece in the 1880s-1900s era. In the catalogs, these were referred to as a "child's table chair."

For an accurate and precise certified wicker furniture appraisal, contact author and appraiser Richard Saunders in Georgia. He is an advertiser on my National Furniture Repair Directory™ in the Wicker Repair section under the Georgia State heading.

For a fee, Richard will appraise your piece for you. Be sure to tell him I referred you so he knows where his business is coming from.  http://www.WickerWoman.com/furniture-repair-directory/wicker-experts#georgia

For hints and tips on caring for your wicker furniture and lots more, be sure to visit my site and read the Articles section and Wicker FAQ and others for starters!

Warmly,  

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

The Wicker Woman®-Cathryn Peters