Collectibles-General (Antiques)/Oertling scale in cabinet

Oertling scale front.jpg
Oertling scale front.j  

Oertling scale.jpg
Oertling scale.jpg  
Dear Bill and Jan,

I have an Oertling scale, model 141 serial number 4T266, and I believe it was used for measuring metals such as gold and silver.  It has 30gms written under the patent numbers.

It has not been cleaned as we did not wish to damage the balance mechanism.

Can you tell me any further information about this scale and would you have any idea of its value?

My best regards

Hi George,

Some history of Oertling may be found here: Your scale appears to be one of their top of the line precision analytical balances that would have been used in a laboratory.  Retail value might be $500-$1000.

Hope this helps.

Weigh Daily!!!

Bill & Jan Berning

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

Bill & Jan Berning

We can answer almost any question regarding antique scales of any type.

We are dealers in antique coin operated penny scales and parts. We collect antique scales of all types. Bill has been buying and selling scales and mail order penny scale parts since 1983. Jan started collecting small scales of all types in 1977. Our combined collection of antique scales contains over 2200 scales. We are the authors of the book Scales: A Collector's Guide and The revised & Expanded 2nd Edition of Scales: A Collector's Guide. Jan is the editor of "Equilibrium" the journal of The International Society of Antique Scale Collectors. Our website is

The International Society of Antique Scale Collectors, Coin Operated Collectors Association

Articles by or about the Bernings have appeared in issues of “Southeastern Antiquing and Collecting Magazine”, “This Old House”, "Reminisce", “Equilibrium” and “Country Living”.

Jan: BS FACS & Art University of Georgia