Collectibles-General (Antiques)/Watling fortune scale

Hi.  I have a Watling fortune scale that I've had for about 15 years.  It's in really good shape but is not all original.  I bought the original, round fortune glass from a gentlemen in Southern CA named Red who has since passed away.  He had a ton of different scales.  The fortune knob in the middle of my scale just spins so something is not hooked up.  Are there any manuals or illustrations that shows the parts and how everything works?  Thanks.

Rick Spohn

Hi Rick,

There are no manuals for this scale. However we do have some basic diagrams of these scales but they don't show the fortune chain in any detail.  The chain might have come disconnected or the gear might have slipped. If you send a photo of the scale mechanism to us at we can try to help determine what the problem is. If you also send your mailing address, we will send you free diagrams, adjustment instructions and a parts list for your scale.

Hope this helps.

Weigh Daily!!!

Bill & Jan Berning

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

Bill & Jan Berning

We can answer almost any question regarding antique scales of any type.

We are dealers in antique coin operated penny scales and parts. We collect antique scales of all types. Bill has been buying and selling scales and mail order penny scale parts since 1983. Jan started collecting small scales of all types in 1977. Our combined collection of antique scales contains over 2200 scales. We are the authors of the book Scales: A Collector's Guide and The revised & Expanded 2nd Edition of Scales: A Collector's Guide. Jan is the editor of "Equilibrium" the journal of The International Society of Antique Scale Collectors. Our website is

The International Society of Antique Scale Collectors, Coin Operated Collectors Association

Articles by or about the Bernings have appeared in issues of “Southeastern Antiquing and Collecting Magazine”, “This Old House”, "Reminisce", “Equilibrium” and “Country Living”.

Jan: BS FACS & Art University of Georgia