Collectibles-General (Antiques)/wicker baby carriage

Question
baby carriage
baby carriage  

baby carriage
baby carriage  
Recently I restored a wicker baby carriage from parts my dad had stored in his basement for years. Can you provide any historical information regarding this carriage? There is no name plate or other identification marks on the carriage.

Is a polyurethane finish recommended?

Answer
Hmmm so Jim, you put this together using parts your Dad had in the basement? Do you know if they are all from the same original carriage, or are they made up of parts from different carriages? Looks like you did a fantastic job of putting it all together, congratulate yourself, that probably was not easy.

Judging by the intricacy of the woven base and the wooden wheels, I would venture an educated guess at this being from the 1890s, however there's really no way to tell who the manufacturer was unless you can find a maker's mark or find the exact same carriage in a manufacturer's catalog.

It's too bad the wheels have been painted white instead of left natural to match the woven basket base, but since that's the case, perhaps you'd like to paint the rest of the carriage too?

Have you examined the woven basket base to make sure there are no broken strands that need to be repaired? If any repairs need to be made then they should be done first. Check for a wicker expert or chair caning expert on my National Furniture Repair Directory to find someone that can perform the restorations for you. http://www.WickerWoman.com/furniture-repair-directory

Otherwise if you'd like to leave the basket base in the natural color and it does not need any repairs, I'd advise using a mixture of linseed oil and turpentine to "feed" the reed first. Then use an oil-base wood stain of your color choice and then use either a shellac or varnish as a final finish coat.  Get details from my website on the Wicker FAQ page and the Wicker Repair and on the Articles section.

Best wishes and enjoy your lovely baby carriage! And check out my website for more information on wicker carriages and antique wicker furniture in general.  

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

The Wicker WomanŽ-Cathryn Peters