Collectibles-General (Antiques)/antique platform rocking chair

Hi im from scotland and was wondering if you have any infomation on this item, i was given this chair about three years ago and im not sure of it's value or age im wanting to know something of it's history and hopefully you might. I will attach some images of the chair

Abigail - Platform rockers showed up in the United States in the mid 19th century to solve several problems associated with the standard rocker. The platform rocker went through a number of creative innovations by chair makers and designers such as Lowentraut, Hunzinger, Mclean and Schram (details of all available on request) but the final and longest lasting format was the one you have with two single coil springs for the rocker mechanism.

Your rocker is from the late 19th century and appears to have a structural problem. It is leaning to one side. The style, while faintly Eastlake, is fairly generic. I do not recognize the signature on the arm.

In its current condition - upholstery, seat springs, structural problem - the chair has little resale value. In restored condition it would sell at auction in the $100-$200 range.

Thanks for writing.

Fred Taylor

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

Fred Taylor

I will attempt to answer questions about American antique furniture, including construction details, style, period, manufacturers, care, repair and storage. I do not have any background in appliances, musical instruments, sewing machines, trunks, lighting, clocks or children's and baby furniture and will not respond to questions about those items.

I ran an antique furniture restoration business for twenty years. I am a nationally syndicated columnist on the subject of antique furniture for such publications as Antique Week and New England Antiques Journal. I have produced one video on the subject of furniture identification and my book "HOW TO BE A FURNITURE DETECTIVE" is now available.I have also published articles in Antique Trader, Chicago Art Deco Society, Northeast Magazine, Victorian Decorating and Lifestyles, Professional Refinishing, Antiques and Art Around Florida and Antique Shoppe. You can visit my website at

BSBA Finance, University of Florida, MBA Finance, University of Florida