Collectibles-General (Antiques)/Bally Model 1113-13

Question
QUESTION: I am a maintenance tech (CNC lathes) and have just bought this nice slot and would appreciate any help I can get,but am at a road block. The wheels will not spin on my slot and I have read several other of your postings and I still am unable to get my wheels to spin correctly. Wheel 1 was originally freewheeling,but I got it to lock in,but now wheel 3 freewheels(it is able to spin freely) The handle locks sometimes,but eventually will pull.. Any help would be greatly appreciated.. Thanks Mark   I am in Salem,OR  If you know any techs,that would be great too. I know you are in Seattle

ANSWER: Hi Mark,
WOW, sounds a little like a rats nest there Mark. First, is this a E-1000 series Bally or a E/M Bally with no circuit boards? If it is a E series, E for Electronic meaning it has circuit boards inside it, if it is an E, you can manually pull the index arms back towards the back of the cabinet and they should lock back and stay there, so the reels will be free to spin by hand. To engage the index levers,you pull the reel mechanism out a ways so you can get your hand under the reel mechanism, and then just push the button on the end of each coil and the index levers should snap back into the reels again. Now, if this is an e/m machine they are way different, so lets not get into this too far until we know for sure just what you have. If this is a E, Electronic series machine one of the first things you want to know is what the machine is doing, so you read the winner paid readout on the outside of the door. Is that working and lit up? if so, is it giving you a code, like a 50 flashing with maybe a 1? The 50 is a door open code, and if it was flashing with a 1 that would mean that the door was opened after the last play, that would be the 50 which means the door was opened, and then flashed with say a 1, that would mean that one coin was played on the last play. Let me know what we have here Mark, and then we will move along a little more OK?

Thank You
Rodger Knutson
http:www.coinslots.com

QUESTION: It is a EM. It seems there are a lot of literature and such for the e-series machines and they  seem easier to work on,but I prefer the mechanical and not as much circuit board. Just seems more magical as to what it is. I was also wondering what manual would work for this machine. I saw the Bally slot machine manual for electro mechanicals and just thought it was not really what a tech would want. Thanks Again Roger... Mark

Answer
OK, Mark,

So, it is a E/M machine, I like those the best myself. I find that on these, that there gets to be a lot of problems because of old sticky and gummy grease under the reel bundle in all that hardware that latches and locks the index arms under the reel bundle. You need to clean that area well, maybe even take the reel bundle out of it and hit the reel mechanism with a presser washer down at the car wash. All these parts need to be clean and free so they can work fast. With reel problems, this is where I go first, and it is usually is where the problems are. A very good manual for these, the best in my opinion, is the Bally No. 2400 manual, it covers everything and really covers almost all Ballys E/M series of slots. You can get that here:

http://coinslots.com/bally.html

Just look for this manual:

Bally Electro/Mechanical Manual Number 2400. This is about the best manual Bally ever made for the Electro/Mechanical machines, from the 700 Thu the 1000 model number series machines. Also has detailed stepper units for some of the models. Very good book, good for learning and troubleshooting with. 131 pages of great information. Some of these Manuals may be too large to email, if so, you will receive a email with a link to where you can just click the download button there, and download it very fast and easy, emailed to you.

First thing I would do is to remove the reel bundle from the reel mechanism and start cleaning up all those levers and latches under there, after that, clean the electrical pins on the back of the reel mechanism real good with a wire brush as these are made out of aluminum, and they corrode and cause bad connections, same with the hopper pins, as most of the circuits in these machines, go through these pins located behind the reel bundle and the coin hopper.

Thank you

Rodger Knutson
http://www.coinslots.com

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

Rodger Knutson