Collectibles-General (Antiques)/Birds Eye Mail

I have two pieces of birds eye maple bedroom furniture.  Been told by an appraiser that this is not maple, but pine with a birds eye maple laminate.  Is this possible?  I never heard of such a thing.  I can send pictures, but right now I'd like to know if this is even a possibility.

Appraisers generally have limited knowledge on specifics such as this.  The terminology hes is using is not entirely correct.  We would never say 'it is not maple but pine with birds eye maple'.  We would say it is birds eye maple veneer.

However, 96% of birds eye maple is veneer over a secondary wood.  the secondary wood could be pine, ash, tulip poplar, sweet gum or one of several other species.  It may be assembled as plywood is or it may consist as a layer of birds eye maple, a cross banding of another species, a thicker core and two more layers, also layered at 90 degrees to each other.

I am certain that it is not a board of birds eye maple but is birds eye maple.  Whenever there are decorative veneers you will find that veneering is the choice of manufacturer.

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

robert klein

In regards to American antique, vintage and collectible furniture I can help with wood identification, styles, age, periods, historical coatings, materials, techniques, repair, restoration, refinishing, and value. I do not study mid century and later furniture nor do I deal in lamps, and other smalls. You may ask for values and I will give you current market values, I will not give you 'feel good' values. Understand that there are many factors that contribute to market value. If you want a feel good, unrealistic number, please call a local inexperienced appraiser. It is my desire to help you and in doing so I increase my knowledge as well. For that I thank you.

I have been in the antiques furniture and restoration business and in the sales of antique furniture for 40+ years and have continued my education in the trade attending workshops and seminars by various organizations, institutions, and private collectors.

Professional Refinishers Groop, Int., AIC, Antiques Dealers Association

BA Florida State University BA University of West Florida 1971