Collectibles-General (Antiques)/Cedar Chest

Question
Seaburg Cedar Chest
Seaburg Cedar Chest  

Seaburg Certificate
Seaburg Certificate  
Hi Fred, I have a Seaburg Cedar Chest that's in excellent condition. I acquired it from my Great aunt. It has a certificate inside the top from the Seaburg Mfg. Co. secured by 4 brass pins(?). I can't seem to find any info online about this chest and thought you might be able to help. If you could tell me anything about this and possible worth it would be great. Thanks, Todd

Answer
Todd - Seaburg was established in Chautauqua County, NY in 1902. Its original product was the "Librola", a phonograph enclosed in a library table. It also had a line of standard high grade library tables, pedestals and cedar chests. The company closed in 1949.

Your chest is made of solid cedar. It appears to have been made in the late 1930s to late 1940s and would sell at auction in the 4150-$200 range.

Thanks for writing.

Fred Taylor
www.furnituredetective.com
info@furnituredetective.com  

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

Fred Taylor