Collectibles-General (Antiques)/Curious about value of dining set

Question
Table
Table  

Table Leg
Table Leg  
I have a dining set from Doernbecher Furniture of Portland Oregon. It came from an estate sale in San Diego, CA.  I am including photos, I have several more but see can only upload 2. Early 1900's (mid '20's to mid 30's perhaps?) dining room table. Manufactured by Doernbecher Furniture of Portland Oregon. Came from a home in Kensington, mostly large Spanish influenced homes. Very lovingly used by family for many years so not in museum condition but still quite lovely. Beautiful detail on both table legs and chair legs. Seat cushions of chairs have been re-covered. Table comes with 6 chairs but will seat 10 with pub style pull out leaves extended. Table measures 40x60 plus 2 additional pull out leaves measuring 18" each. Could you please tell me what you think an approximate value might be?  Thanks so much for your help!

Answer
Lisa - Doernbecher was a maker of medium quality furniture in the early 20th century. Your set is from the Depression era of the mid 1930s. The style is part of the Colonial Revival period of American furniture when styles from our colonial past were reproduced. The style reproduced in your set is called Jacobean named for King James I of the early 17th century. The Latin term for James is Jacob. The style is readily identifiable by the large bulb turnings on the legs. It was popular in the American colonies in the late 17th and early 18th century.

The table is called a draw leaf table. It was one of the earliest forms of extension tables and comes from the same period as the Jacobean style. The form pretty well disappeared in residences after the 17th century but remained in use in England as a pub table. The form was revived for use in the Depression era.

The table top and the chair splats (back rests) are made of walnut veneer. The rest of the set - table frame and legs and chair frames - are made of a secondary wood called red gum that has been stained to look like walnut.

You can see similar style and age furniture in "Furniture of the Depression Era" by Swedberg, Collector Books found on Amazon.com.
http://www.amazon.com/Furniture-Depression-Era-Accessories-1920S/dp/0891453326/r

While the set is nice looking and will serve for many years, it is factory made and mass produced from a period that is not very popular with collectors. The table and chairs would sell at auction in the $250-$400 range.    

Thanks for writing and thanks for the excellent photos.

Fred Taylor
www.furnituredetective.com
info@furnituredetective.com  

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

Fred Taylor