Collectibles-General (Antiques)/Information on refurbishig a rattan baby buggy

Question
Buggy
Buggy  
I puchased this buggy in southen Germany and would like to have it refurbished to be used as a bassinet for my grandbabies. Do you have any information on where I an locate someone to do this work here in Europe?. To my observation the following needs attention: 1. Wheels need new rubber 2. Wicker/rattan needs deep cleaning and restoration (basicaly intact with only a few pieces loose) 3. Recover inside bed and hood 4. resurface wheels and frame 5. replace bed mattress. Also any information on its origin and date of manufacture woud be iteresting. Thanks for your help,
Gwen

Answer
Gwen that's a lovely baby buggy you have there, but I don't know of anyone in Germany that does wicker repair, sorry. You will just have to ask around. Perhaps you will be able to find a basketmaker or an upholster that would be willing to take on the restoration for you.

Without close examination, I'm not sure what the actual body material is made of, so not comfortable advising you on cleaning either. It appears to be some sort of plastic, rubber or vinyl though, and if so, could be washed down on the inside and outside on the hood. And perhaps even on the sides with water from a hose?

A new mattress can be made and maybe the lining inside might need to be replaced also. As to replacing the rubber on the wheels, you might be able to find automobile hose to fit and then glue on with epoxy. This will give you the look, but probably won't stand up with active use, but for a bassinet, it will probably do just fine.

I'm guessing you haven't found a manufacturer's label that would help us determine its age? My guess would be in the 1930s-1950s with design elements borrowed from earlier eras.

For more information and hints and tips on caring for your wicker furniture, you can visit the Wicker FAQ and Articles-How to Care For Wicker Furniture pages on my website. Links to my website are below. Hope this helps!  

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

The Wicker WomanŽ-Cathryn Peters