Collectibles-General (Antiques)/Jacob & Josef Kohn Chairs

Question
chair stamps
chair stamps  
Chair signature
Chair signature  
QUESTION: Good Morning Michael,Here are the pics you requested. I was told by someone else that these were rare and not mass produced. If so would i have 4 of the first ones made? They are numbered on the bottom of there rails 62,63,64, and 65 on all four bent rails. Thank you again for your time.

ANSWER: All of the Kohn chairs were mass produced in a factory, they were the competitor of Thonet. Steam bent  furniture required large steam machines to heat the wood and them bend them in to molds that formed the shapes, This was not done by small craftsmen in a little workshop.  The bottom of the chair looks like a chair that was made circa 1900. The chair shape most common version of the Kohn chairs and was sold in the  several 100,000 examples. They did make versions in small quantities of around 25,000, I think your is manufactured in large quants, but I do not have any documentation concerning the exact amount of chairs that were manufactured. the printing or engraving on the chair seat and back was done by a machine and not hand crafted.  The numbers on the bottom of the rails allowed employees to assemble the pieces in a assembly line. I would estimate your chair to be worth around $150 dollars if you are very lucky, I have seen these chairs sell for as little as $40 dollars in used furniture stores.

QUESTION: Michael can you tell me what the 2 faces and the harp represent on the back rest? By the way i was scamed by an auctioneer as he said these chairs were worth $1000 a piece. I paid $220 for all 4. Hope i can get my money back. Thank you again for your time. I hope you have a great holiday.

Chuck

Answer
I guess the auctioneer is the lucky one he was able to get you to pay $220 dollars for all four, that is $55 dollars per chair not too far than my estimate of 40 dollars per chair, I don't think he scammed you, she sold them to you for a fair price, there is no way he should give you your money back.  If you would have paid me for my advice before you purchased the chairs it would have cost you more than what you paid. You need to be grateful that the auctioneer did not try to sell them to you for $500 dollars each, then you would have a reason to complain.  

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

Michael Andrew Wilson