Collectibles-General (Antiques)/Kidney-shaped desk

Front Full Image
Front Full Image  

Back 3 quarter imagew
Back 3 quarter imagew  
Hello Mr. Klein,

I have recently purchased a beautiful desk for my wife as she has been in the market for an older desk with character. We both love the desk, so value is less important than knowing more about it.

It is kidney-shaped, has eight drawers to a side and one in the middle for a total of 9. I would love to know roughly when it was built, where and by who (if possible), and what the materials are. I was told it was mahogany and the pulls look to be either brass or a copper. Any information you can offer would be greatly appreciated.

Nice desk.

Mahogany veneers, brass hardware possibly plated so you will need to try a magnet or scrape the back side to see if it is solid or plated.
The surface is in need of a good waxing after removing the hardware.  Toluene free Briwax in an antique mahogany color will do the job, should take 2 hours.  brasses can be soaked in lacquer thinner and gently cleaned with Brite Boy or left alone.
Without a label there is no way anyone can determine a manufacturer.  There were thousands in operation.

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

robert klein

In regards to American antique, vintage and collectible furniture I can help with wood identification, styles, age, periods, historical coatings, materials, techniques, repair, restoration, refinishing, and value. I do not study mid century and later furniture nor do I deal in lamps, and other smalls. You may ask for values and I will give you current market values, I will not give you 'feel good' values. Understand that there are many factors that contribute to market value. If you want a feel good, unrealistic number, please call a local inexperienced appraiser. It is my desire to help you and in doing so I increase my knowledge as well. For that I thank you.

I have been in the antiques furniture and restoration business and in the sales of antique furniture for 40+ years and have continued my education in the trade attending workshops and seminars by various organizations, institutions, and private collectors.

Professional Refinishers Groop, Int., AIC, Antiques Dealers Association

BA Florida State University BA University of West Florida 1971