Collectibles-General (Antiques)/Kidney Shaped Desk w/ Leather Top

Hi, I have what I think could be an antique desk. Its a kidney shaped desk with a leather top. It has 7 drawers, 3 on each side and one in the middle. I purchased it from a estate sale in 1990. The only markings on it says Car. P. Co. which is stamped on the underside of the top where the middle drawer goes. I would appreciate anything you could tell me about it. Pictures have emailed to you.

Thank you.

these are great items, very popular.   whether or not it is an antique would depend on your definition of antique.  for cars it is 20 years.  for furniture it is generally 100 years.  to me it doesn’t matter if it is an 'antique' or falls into 'antiques and collectables'.

it has no effect on price.  yours is from the 1940s, is mahogany veneer with brass of brass plated hardware.  it does need some attention and after a bit of freshening up would sell in a shop at 450.

buy some toluene free Briwax in the antique mahogany color and wax it, you will impress yourself when done.

There were thousands of manufacturers in operation so to match the car p co will be a task and if I do I will let you know.  understand though that some companies did not last long before being bought up by a larger co.

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

robert klein

In regards to American antique, vintage and collectible furniture I can help with wood identification, styles, age, periods, historical coatings, materials, techniques, repair, restoration, refinishing, and value. I do not study mid century and later furniture nor do I deal in lamps, and other smalls. You may ask for values and I will give you current market values, I will not give you 'feel good' values. Understand that there are many factors that contribute to market value. If you want a feel good, unrealistic number, please call a local inexperienced appraiser. It is my desire to help you and in doing so I increase my knowledge as well. For that I thank you.

I have been in the antiques furniture and restoration business and in the sales of antique furniture for 40+ years and have continued my education in the trade attending workshops and seminars by various organizations, institutions, and private collectors.

Professional Refinishers Groop, Int., AIC, Antiques Dealers Association

BA Florida State University BA University of West Florida 1971