Collectibles-General (Antiques)/Oak table and four chairs

kitchen table oak 006
kitchen table oak 006  

kitchen table oak 007
kitchen table oak 007  
Dear: Mr Taylor

Can you give me any details about my oak table and four chairs. My mother bought them used in the late 50's. Table size 32"X42" w/2 leaves, each 11". Sticker on table reads, National Chair Co. # 10-70 National Block St. Louis. "WE ARE BEAR ON CHAIRS". Sticker on table slide reads MFG by B. Walter & Co. Wabash.

Thank You:  James

James - Your set is an apartment size breakfast set made anywhere from the mid 1930s to the late 1940s. The later date would be my guess. During the Depression era when time were tough and after World War II when there was a major housing shortage, a number of companies specialized in small scale "apartment size" furniture to suit the space available.

National Chair Co is now a major manufacturer/retailer of office furniture. Walter of Wabash has been making table slides since the late 19th century.

Sets like this were very common in the 1950s as families with "baby boomers" grew quickly.

In today's market the set would sell at auction in the $100 - $200 range.

Thanks for writing.

Fred Taylor  

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

Fred Taylor

I will attempt to answer questions about American antique furniture, including construction details, style, period, manufacturers, care, repair and storage. I do not have any background in appliances, musical instruments, sewing machines, trunks, lighting, clocks or children's and baby furniture and will not respond to questions about those items.

I ran an antique furniture restoration business for twenty years. I am a nationally syndicated columnist on the subject of antique furniture for such publications as Antique Week and New England Antiques Journal. I have produced one video on the subject of furniture identification and my book "HOW TO BE A FURNITURE DETECTIVE" is now available.I have also published articles in Antique Trader, Chicago Art Deco Society, Northeast Magazine, Victorian Decorating and Lifestyles, Professional Refinishing, Antiques and Art Around Florida and Antique Shoppe. You can visit my website at

BSBA Finance, University of Florida, MBA Finance, University of Florida