Collectibles-General (Antiques)/red ware

Question
redware
redware  
redware
redware  
QUESTION: I found this bundt/turk's head pan in my grandmother's things.  Her family was from Pottsville Pa prior to 1900.  Can you date and value this item?

ANSWER: Kathie,

Looks like a very nice piece to me.  In order to date it, I would need to know if there is any "crazing" in the clear overglaze.  You can usually see it if you look at the sides closely from an angle.  Let me know what you find.

Dennis

QUESTION: Actually, I did find crazing with a magnifying glass on the inside near the top, but very faint.

Answer
Kathie,

Clear crazing is usually a sign of age...most of the time...but not always.  It really would be hard for me to date the piece without seeing it in person and that's where I don't think I can estimate age/value without looking at it.

I would suggest bringing it to a local antiques dealer and have them assess it and then email me back with their response.  Maybe I could fill in between the lines.

Dennis

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

Dennis Wolbach