Collectibles-General (Antiques)/rocking chair

rocking chair
rocking chair  
hi can you help me identify this rocking chair it has no label which my partner believes to have been under the arm at one time and came from america  it has springs on the rocker and springs on the seating area
thanks micheal

Michael - Your rocker is a platform rocker from the Depression era of the 1930s. It is made of red gum, a secondary wood that has been stained to look like walnut. It was an inexpensive chair when made to fit in the Depression era economy. Without a label there is no way to tell who made the chair.

It has practically no resale value.

Thanks for writing.

Fred Taylor

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

Fred Taylor

I will attempt to answer questions about American antique furniture, including construction details, style, period, manufacturers, care, repair and storage. I do not have any background in appliances, musical instruments, sewing machines, trunks, lighting, clocks or children's and baby furniture and will not respond to questions about those items.

I ran an antique furniture restoration business for twenty years. I am a nationally syndicated columnist on the subject of antique furniture for such publications as Antique Week and New England Antiques Journal. I have produced one video on the subject of furniture identification and my book "HOW TO BE A FURNITURE DETECTIVE" is now available.I have also published articles in Antique Trader, Chicago Art Deco Society, Northeast Magazine, Victorian Decorating and Lifestyles, Professional Refinishing, Antiques and Art Around Florida and Antique Shoppe. You can visit my website at

BSBA Finance, University of Florida, MBA Finance, University of Florida