Collectibles-General (Antiques)/Table and chair inquiry

Hi Fred,

I was wondering if you could tell me anything on the two peices pictured below. First is a table the only markings on iit are below and the second is a chair the only markings on it read "FH Conants and sons Camden NY". Your help is appreciated.

Bruce - The table is a drop leaf end table from the mid 20th century. It is a Colonial Revival reproduction of a Federal period table of the early 19th century. It is not an antique and has no special value other than as a lamp or end table, if you need one.

F. H. Conants and Sons made higher quality Colonial Revival reproductions. Your chair is a reproduction of a Hepplewhite shield back chair also from the Federal period. George Hepplewhite was an English designer whose work was popular in the United States in the late 1700s and early 1800s Federal period. He is best known for his design of the oval drawer pulls of the period that bear his name.  

The chair is from the first half of the 20th century. It is made of birch with a mahogany finish. The "painting" on the splat may be a decal but it also may be painted, hard to tell from the photo. The art does not add to the value of the chair. It would sell at auction in the $50-$75 range.

Thanks for writing.

Fred Taylor  

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

Fred Taylor

I will attempt to answer questions about American antique furniture, including construction details, style, period, manufacturers, care, repair and storage. I do not have any background in appliances, musical instruments, sewing machines, trunks, lighting, clocks or children's and baby furniture and will not respond to questions about those items.

I ran an antique furniture restoration business for twenty years. I am a nationally syndicated columnist on the subject of antique furniture for such publications as Antique Week and New England Antiques Journal. I have produced one video on the subject of furniture identification and my book "HOW TO BE A FURNITURE DETECTIVE" is now available.I have also published articles in Antique Trader, Chicago Art Deco Society, Northeast Magazine, Victorian Decorating and Lifestyles, Professional Refinishing, Antiques and Art Around Florida and Antique Shoppe. You can visit my website at

BSBA Finance, University of Florida, MBA Finance, University of Florida