Collectibles-General (Antiques)/thimbles

I found these thimbles and scissors with my grandmother's things.  One thimble has initials on it.  I have other items such as bone stilettos and tatting shuttles.  Just wondering if you could date and value these items.

Hello Kathie,
The thimbles most likely are made by different makes and I need for you to provide me with additional information please.

The one on the extreme left is an aluminum advertising thimble and dates to the 1920's.  Fourth from the left - brass, and dating to the 1920's.
All others appear to be American, sterling silver.  Please look inside at the top and tell me what you see.  You may also find hallmarks and numbers on the bands.

For the scissors -- There is some sort of marking - what is it please?

Hello Kathie,
For some reason I never received a notification that you had posted the additional information, however, I did not receive any additional photos of the markings, sorry.

The scissors are obviously made in Germany and the 1776 is most likely the stock number for this design. The 1776 has nothing to do with American war or Independence of 1776.  Without a maker's mark, it would be impossible to say who actually made them. From the design, they appear to date to the mid-1900s.

Brass one - the #10 is the size number. This style of brass thimble was made in Germany, England and the USA.  Some are stamped with the provenance and others are not.
The aluminum and brass thimble have little to no collector value.  For the aluminum to have any value at all, the paint on the band would have to be in perfect condition or, show an advertisement for a scarce commodity.
2nd from left = American, sterling silver and what is known as a panel thimble. From your description of the maker's mark, this could possible be for Goldsmith Stern Bros.  Anytime you see the no., that is the size number on these thimbles.
The very last thimble (left to right in your photo) appears to have the maker's mark on the band.  This too could be for Goldsmith Stern Bros. but I cannot be sure as am not able to see it clearly.

If you can photograph the marks for me, I will be able to better determine the exact makers.

When it comes to value, I do not do appraisals without the object in hand as I need to clearly inspect for condition and other factors. I do charge a fee for appraisals.  You may wish to go to eBay and look at the sold listings for your particular thimbles as this will give you an idea of what someone is willing to pay for a similar one.  The bone stiletto, again check the sold items on eBay.  Without a photo I cannot determine if your one would be collectible or not.  MOP buttons -- these are not my field of expertise, sorry.

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

Irene Schwall

I have been a collector of antique sewing tools and thimbles for over 30 years. I am also a dealer in this field and sell on eBay under the name -- serengeti2. I am NOT, and I repeat NOT an expert on antique or vintage domestic household sewing machines used for everyday home sewing. I can offer help when it comes to Toy or miniature collectible sewing machines ONLY.

See information provided above.

Thimble Collectors International
SCTC - Southern California Thimble Club
SDTC - San Diego Thimble Club
OTS - Ohio Thimble Seekers
Priscilla Nutmeggers - CT/MA/NH
Dorset Thimble Society - UK
Rund um den Fingerhut - Germany
Cyberthimble on Yahoo

I belong to Thimble Collectors International & I chair the committee 'Publishing/Grants' and oversee the research and publication of booklets relating to sewing tools and thimbles. I have also had articles published on needlework related topics.

See information provided above.