Collectibles-General (Antiques)/Antique statues

Question
Don't know if you can help us no experts are in art painting. We received three old larger plaster(?# religious statues from a being remolded chapel. They are lightly peeling.  Would you have any idea as to how to retouch them  light sanding of the areas?paint type #oil seems too heavy) and a finish spray afterward? They will stay with family so not concerned if this limits their value or not. Thank you so much

Answer
Hi Jane
Nice to hear from you.
This is totally out of my area but I can certainly give you my thoughts.
And they are much like yours.
Lightly sand the peeling areas to smooth them.
Then I would use acrylic paint.
Those small bottles of craft paint are fine. This will likely involve some color mixing and matching but it can be done if you have a good eye for color.
When you get your paint, they can also supply you with a spray matte or satin sealer.
I could advise on colors needed if I had a good picture of the damaged areas .
Happy New Year
Eileen
PS..Try to contact the art expert also.  

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

Eileen Cronk