Collectibles-General (Antiques)/Dayton Scale

Dayton Scale
Dayton Scale  
My husband has a Dayton scale which is in great shape and we're hoping to sell it.  However, I'm unlcear how to advertise it because I don't know what it was used for in the day.  I read somewhere that it is a money weight scale, but I don't know what that means.  Does it literally have something to do with weighing money?  I always thought it was used to weigh food.  
It is white with a large round base to place the item to be weighed.  
What is it, and how much shall I ask?

Hi Jean,

Your Dayton barrel top computing scale was manufactured of cast iron and steel then porcelain enameled so that it could be easily cleaned and sanitized for use in the meat departments of General or Grocery stores for weighing and computing price per ounce or pound of meat, produce or other goods. Not all Dayton scales had the Moneyweight brand on them. It dates from the 1920s or 1930s. Retail value might be $100-$300.

Hope this helps.

Weigh Daily!!!

Bill & Jan Berning

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

Bill & Jan Berning

We can answer almost any question regarding antique scales of any type.

We are dealers in antique coin operated penny scales and parts. We collect antique scales of all types. Bill has been buying and selling scales and mail order penny scale parts since 1983. Jan started collecting small scales of all types in 1977. Our combined collection of antique scales contains over 2200 scales. We are the authors of the book Scales: A Collector's Guide and The revised & Expanded 2nd Edition of Scales: A Collector's Guide. Jan is the editor of "Equilibrium" the journal of The International Society of Antique Scale Collectors. Our website is

The International Society of Antique Scale Collectors, Coin Operated Collectors Association

Articles by or about the Bernings have appeared in issues of “Southeastern Antiquing and Collecting Magazine”, “This Old House”, "Reminisce", “Equilibrium” and “Country Living”.

Jan: BS FACS & Art University of Georgia