Collectibles-General (Antiques)/Dayton Scale

Question
Dayton Scale
Dayton Scale  
My husband has a Dayton scale which is in great shape and we're hoping to sell it.  However, I'm unlcear how to advertise it because I don't know what it was used for in the day.  I read somewhere that it is a money weight scale, but I don't know what that means.  Does it literally have something to do with weighing money?  I always thought it was used to weigh food.  
It is white with a large round base to place the item to be weighed.  
What is it, and how much shall I ask?

Answer
Hi Jean,

Your Dayton barrel top computing scale was manufactured of cast iron and steel then porcelain enameled so that it could be easily cleaned and sanitized for use in the meat departments of General or Grocery stores for weighing and computing price per ounce or pound of meat, produce or other goods. Not all Dayton scales had the Moneyweight brand on them. It dates from the 1920s or 1930s. Retail value might be $100-$300.

Hope this helps.

Weigh Daily!!!

Bill & Jan Berning

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

Bill & Jan Berning