Collectibles-General (Antiques)/Emerson Victorian Square Grand Piano

Hello.  I just recently purchased an Emerson Victorian Square Grand Piano with the serial number 27682 located on the soundboard.  Are you able to tell me what year this would been produced?  Thank you kindly.

Virginia - According to the Pierce Piano Atlas, Emerson used serial number 27682 between 1875 and 1880. It falls in sequence very close to 1880 which started the year with number 28000.

Fred Taylor  

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

Fred Taylor

I will attempt to answer questions about American antique furniture, including construction details, style, period, manufacturers, care, repair and storage. I do not have any background in appliances, musical instruments, sewing machines, trunks, lighting, clocks or children's and baby furniture and will not respond to questions about those items.

I ran an antique furniture restoration business for twenty years. I am a nationally syndicated columnist on the subject of antique furniture for such publications as Antique Week and New England Antiques Journal. I have produced one video on the subject of furniture identification and my book "HOW TO BE A FURNITURE DETECTIVE" is now available.I have also published articles in Antique Trader, Chicago Art Deco Society, Northeast Magazine, Victorian Decorating and Lifestyles, Professional Refinishing, Antiques and Art Around Florida and Antique Shoppe. You can visit my website at

BSBA Finance, University of Florida, MBA Finance, University of Florida