Collectibles-General (Antiques)/Fairbanks platform scale

Recently, I acquired a platform scale, on the piece that shows the weight from 1# to 100# near the 100# mark
shows "Fairbanks, capy. 1000#".  The scale is all metal including platform, medium gray paint, rusting.  There
is no decal or serial # on the pillar, appears scale was reprinted a medium gray many years ago.  The weights,
1-100# weight & 2-200# weights, apparently were black; some weights may be missing, possibly a 500# weight.  The weight hanger apparently was also originally black. The hanger to store weights at top of pillar is
broken off & needs to be replaced.  The scale was used at a dairy plant partly owned by my family and at a
dairy farm,  it is believed the scale was purchased new in the early 1920s. The scale is very accurate.
I want to restore the scale to original look.  What color/colors should it be painted?  I also would like to replace
the missing weight hanger at pillar and would like to acquire any missing wights.

Thank you for your help, best wishes.

Hi Bill,

Fairbanks manufactured many different platform scales fitting your description over its long history.  Please send a photo or two of the scale to us at and we will try our best to help.

Weigh Daily!!!

Bill & Jan Berning

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

Bill & Jan Berning

We can answer almost any question regarding antique scales of any type.

We are dealers in antique coin operated penny scales and parts. We collect antique scales of all types. Bill has been buying and selling scales and mail order penny scale parts since 1983. Jan started collecting small scales of all types in 1977. Our combined collection of antique scales contains over 2200 scales. We are the authors of the book Scales: A Collector's Guide and The revised & Expanded 2nd Edition of Scales: A Collector's Guide. Jan is the editor of "Equilibrium" the journal of The International Society of Antique Scale Collectors. Our website is

The International Society of Antique Scale Collectors, Coin Operated Collectors Association

Articles by or about the Bernings have appeared in issues of “Southeastern Antiquing and Collecting Magazine”, “This Old House”, "Reminisce", “Equilibrium” and “Country Living”.

Jan: BS FACS & Art University of Georgia