Collectibles-General (Antiques)/Fairbanks standard no.8

My husband and I have acquired a platform scale from our local paper mill as it just went out of business. We are wondering about the value. It has a plate that says "FAIRBANKS STANDARD NO 8 MADE IN CANADA 07". Can you tell us a bit about it and its value?
thanks so much!

Hi Karen,

Fairbanks manufactured many different platform scales fitting your description over its long history.  Please send a photo or two of the scale to us at and we will try our best to help.

Weigh Daily!!!

Bill & Jan Berning

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

Bill & Jan Berning

We can answer almost any question regarding antique scales of any type.

We are dealers in antique coin operated penny scales and parts. We collect antique scales of all types. Bill has been buying and selling scales and mail order penny scale parts since 1983. Jan started collecting small scales of all types in 1977. Our combined collection of antique scales contains over 2200 scales. We are the authors of the book Scales: A Collector's Guide and The revised & Expanded 2nd Edition of Scales: A Collector's Guide. Jan is the editor of "Equilibrium" the journal of The International Society of Antique Scale Collectors. Our website is

The International Society of Antique Scale Collectors, Coin Operated Collectors Association

Articles by or about the Bernings have appeared in issues of “Southeastern Antiquing and Collecting Magazine”, “This Old House”, "Reminisce", “Equilibrium” and “Country Living”.

Jan: BS FACS & Art University of Georgia