Collectibles-General (Antiques)/Left Handed bowback writing desk by Hale and Hale of Vermont

Please advise year made and current value in todays market. Thank you and God Bless

Harry - Your chair is a 20th century reproduction of an 18th century Windsor chair made in New England. A Windsor chair is a chair in which no vertical element runs continuously from top to bottom. All vertical elements terminate in the seat.

The key element to age in your chair is the solid splat. Only English Windsors originally had solid splats instead of all rods in the back. The design carved in the back was originally associated with a particular pub in an English region. The style was duplicated in America during the Depression era of the 1930s.

Period Windsor writing chairs sell at auction anywhere from $200 to $1500. Depression era chairs like yours sell in the $100 range because the left hand desk is unusual.

Thanks for writing.

Fred Taylor  

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

Fred Taylor

I will attempt to answer questions about American antique furniture, including construction details, style, period, manufacturers, care, repair and storage. I do not have any background in appliances, musical instruments, sewing machines, trunks, lighting, clocks or children's and baby furniture and will not respond to questions about those items.

I ran an antique furniture restoration business for twenty years. I am a nationally syndicated columnist on the subject of antique furniture for such publications as Antique Week and New England Antiques Journal. I have produced one video on the subject of furniture identification and my book "HOW TO BE A FURNITURE DETECTIVE" is now available.I have also published articles in Antique Trader, Chicago Art Deco Society, Northeast Magazine, Victorian Decorating and Lifestyles, Professional Refinishing, Antiques and Art Around Florida and Antique Shoppe. You can visit my website at

BSBA Finance, University of Florida, MBA Finance, University of Florida