Collectibles-General (Antiques)/Hanson Postal Scale

Hanson scale
Hanson scale  
I have a Hanson Postal Scale A3513. Can you tell me how old it is and what it may be worth? Thanks

Hi Betty,

Your scale was most likely manufactured in the 1920-1950s but the postage rates on its face would clarify its dates more exactly.   The catalogs we have from the Hanson Brothers Scale Co. show only model numbers 1508. 1509, and 1512 only and we are unsure whether your number A3513 dates before or after those shown in our catalogs from the 1930s and 1940s.  Retail value might be $40-$75.

If you send a photo of the face to us at where the rates are visible we may be able to date it more definitively.

Hope this helps.

Weigh Daily!!!

Bill & Jan Berning

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

Bill & Jan Berning

We can answer almost any question regarding antique scales of any type.

We are dealers in antique coin operated penny scales and parts. We collect antique scales of all types. Bill has been buying and selling scales and mail order penny scale parts since 1983. Jan started collecting small scales of all types in 1977. Our combined collection of antique scales contains over 2200 scales. We are the authors of the book Scales: A Collector's Guide and The revised & Expanded 2nd Edition of Scales: A Collector's Guide. Jan is the editor of "Equilibrium" the journal of The International Society of Antique Scale Collectors. Our website is

The International Society of Antique Scale Collectors, Coin Operated Collectors Association

Articles by or about the Bernings have appeared in issues of “Southeastern Antiquing and Collecting Magazine”, “This Old House”, "Reminisce", “Equilibrium” and “Country Living”.

Jan: BS FACS & Art University of Georgia