Collectibles-General (Antiques)/Heywood Bros & Co. Chair 1873

Question
Heywood Bros Chair
Heywood Bros Chair  
We have a desk chair with a Heywood Bros & Co. 1873 button on it.  The arms are damaged and coming detached and unstable.  We currently reside in Pensacola, FL...Do you know of a furniture repair company that may be able to handle this repair to restore it.  Also, we would appreciate it if you can tell us what you can about the chair.  A photo is attached.  Thank you.

Answer
Steve - Sorry to say I do not know any restoration artists in the Pensacola area. The style of the chair is Renaissance Revival, the prevailing style of the period. The mechanism is probably cast iron.

Here is a Heywood Bros chair with similar scrolled arms and a similar date that sold at auction for $225.
http://www.liveauctioneers.com/item/5056643

With the proper repair your chair should sell in the same area.

You might want to consider a different kind of caster that will be kinder to wood floors such as this.
http://findnsave.joplinglobe.com/Product/1951182/Soft-Touch-by-Waxman-Stem-Hoode

Good luck. Thanks for writing.

Fred Taylor
www.furnituredetective.com
info@furnituredetective.com  

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

Fred Taylor