Collectibles-General (Antiques)/Heywood Bros & Co. Chair 1873

Heywood Bros Chair
Heywood Bros Chair  
We have a desk chair with a Heywood Bros & Co. 1873 button on it.  The arms are damaged and coming detached and unstable.  We currently reside in Pensacola, FL...Do you know of a furniture repair company that may be able to handle this repair to restore it.  Also, we would appreciate it if you can tell us what you can about the chair.  A photo is attached.  Thank you.

Steve - Sorry to say I do not know any restoration artists in the Pensacola area. The style of the chair is Renaissance Revival, the prevailing style of the period. The mechanism is probably cast iron.

Here is a Heywood Bros chair with similar scrolled arms and a similar date that sold at auction for $225.

With the proper repair your chair should sell in the same area.

You might want to consider a different kind of caster that will be kinder to wood floors such as this.

Good luck. Thanks for writing.

Fred Taylor  

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

Fred Taylor

I will attempt to answer questions about American antique furniture, including construction details, style, period, manufacturers, care, repair and storage. I do not have any background in appliances, musical instruments, sewing machines, trunks, lighting, clocks or children's and baby furniture and will not respond to questions about those items.

I ran an antique furniture restoration business for twenty years. I am a nationally syndicated columnist on the subject of antique furniture for such publications as Antique Week and New England Antiques Journal. I have produced one video on the subject of furniture identification and my book "HOW TO BE A FURNITURE DETECTIVE" is now available.I have also published articles in Antique Trader, Chicago Art Deco Society, Northeast Magazine, Victorian Decorating and Lifestyles, Professional Refinishing, Antiques and Art Around Florida and Antique Shoppe. You can visit my website at

BSBA Finance, University of Florida, MBA Finance, University of Florida