Collectibles-General (Antiques)/Machine purchase?

5 machine rack
5 machine rack  
Hello Jack,
I have been reading some of your responses here and am quite impressed. My question is this: There is a 5 machine rack that is local to me here and they are asking $100.00. Problem is that they need to be re-keyed.
Is it difficult to find the proper parts needed to re-key these machines? Would I have to find out the original manufacturer? The mechanical part is easy, it's just finding the right locks. Also, do you think this setup is worth $100.00?

Merry Christmas and thanks in advance!!

Hello Mark,

The 5 machines are probably worth the $100.00 price. None of the machines have much appeal
to collectors as they are considered "entry level" as collectibles. The center machine on
the lower level is from the 1970's. I believe it is called The Komet. The other two on the
lower level are possibly Beavers, from the 1980's to the present.  I don't know what the top two machines are. Most likely from 2000 to the present. I think the Komet is pictured in
SILENT SALESMEN TOO, by Bill Enes. The other machines are too new to appear in the book.
A genuine locksmith would be able to re-key the machines but it would probably cost more
than they are worth. Unless the machines have sentimental value to you, I would suggest
that you pass on a purchase. Good luck and Merry Christmas.  

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

Jack Freund

I have 35 years experience in the coin op field, specializing in old gumball and peanut machines. Also trade stimulators, especially turn of the century cigar store machines, both cast iron and wooden machines.

I have owned over 3000 coin operated machines. Much knowledge comes from experience as there is not a lot of documented information on many coin operated machines. Experience is the teacher.

Coin Operated Collector's Association

I host a column in the C.O.C.A. Times, (the magazine for members of the Coin Operated Collector's Association). The column is titled "Tales Of The Hunt" and features stories and comments about member's great (and sometimes not so great) finds.

I have been a dealer at the Chicagoland Slot Machine and Coin Op show since it started. Look for me in Booth F-09. Stop by with your questions or photos. I'll try to help you or buy your machine if you prefer.