Collectibles-General (Antiques)/Maddox Colonial Reproductions

Question
Walnut Desk
Walnut Desk  
I have a Maddox Colonial Reproduction Kidney Shaped Desk.  It has a leather top. There is a spot that has water damage on the leather.  Do you know if there is any way for me to fix this.
I am interested to know how old it is and the current market value.  I am looking to sell it but I want to know approx. how much to ask for it.  
The Pattern No. is 4577-51 which is on a label under the middle drawer.  The writing is faded but I believe that is the correct number.
Thank you for any help you can give me to determine the age of this item.

Answer
Maddox was in operation for quite some time--1898-1985.  I believe this to be 1930.  The style and form of these desks stays the same but that style knobs were early 1930s.  However, it is possible that they were changed or 'updated' by a previous owner.  seeing underneath the drawer would help narrow the date but remember, age on its own does not make something more or less valuable, just older or newer.

as to the damage, if you are going to sell it then leave it alone.  there is no home fix for this.  first, the coating has to be determined, shellac of lacquer, then whether or not oils or waxes have been applied.  after this a proper course of treatment can be determined.  please do not take advice from well meaning buy ill informed persons on the various home remedies for this damage, it will only make it worse.

if you do anything just use some toluene free Briwax in the antique mahogany color and wax the entire desk, top also.

a fair market value in a shop would be 450.  

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

robert klein