Collectibles-General (Antiques)/Maddox Secretary key

Hello Bob,
I inherited my father's Maddox secretary and I have lost the keys! I locked all of the drawers and doors to move it, and now I can't complete the repairs it needs on the drop-front desk! Do you know if all of the keys for these desks were the same? If not do you know how I can have new keys made?

The keys were different but not a different key for each desk.

They are called barrel keys.

All you need to do to have a new key made is to take the lock to a good locksmith.

The trick is getting to a lock to remove it!!

sometimes the acks were screwed on, if so take the back off and remove the lock from one of the doors.  or, using a wood wedge, not a metal, see if you can pry the upper doors apart enough to get the right side one to open.  do not try that on the fall front or one the drawers.

other option, if you know a repair person or antiques dealer, borrow a bag of keys and start trying them.

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

robert klein

In regards to American antique, vintage and collectible furniture I can help with wood identification, styles, age, periods, historical coatings, materials, techniques, repair, restoration, refinishing, and value. I do not study mid century and later furniture nor do I deal in lamps, and other smalls. You may ask for values and I will give you current market values, I will not give you 'feel good' values. Understand that there are many factors that contribute to market value. If you want a feel good, unrealistic number, please call a local inexperienced appraiser. It is my desire to help you and in doing so I increase my knowledge as well. For that I thank you.

I have been in the antiques furniture and restoration business and in the sales of antique furniture for 40+ years and have continued my education in the trade attending workshops and seminars by various organizations, institutions, and private collectors.

Professional Refinishers Groop, Int., AIC, Antiques Dealers Association

BA Florida State University BA University of West Florida 1971