Collectibles-General (Antiques)/Maddox Secretary key

Question
Hello Bob,
I inherited my father's Maddox secretary and I have lost the keys! I locked all of the drawers and doors to move it, and now I can't complete the repairs it needs on the drop-front desk! Do you know if all of the keys for these desks were the same? If not do you know how I can have new keys made?

Answer
The keys were different but not a different key for each desk.

They are called barrel keys.

All you need to do to have a new key made is to take the lock to a good locksmith.

The trick is getting to a lock to remove it!!

sometimes the acks were screwed on, if so take the back off and remove the lock from one of the doors.  or, using a wood wedge, not a metal, see if you can pry the upper doors apart enough to get the right side one to open.  do not try that on the fall front or one the drawers.

other option, if you know a repair person or antiques dealer, borrow a bag of keys and start trying them.

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

robert klein