Collectibles-General (Antiques)/Rocking Chair Identification

rocker 1
rocker 1  

rocker 2
rocker 2  
I purchased this rocking chair at a local auction.There is nothing on the chair to identify the manufacturer. I would like to find out how old it may be and who made it. The seat appears to be laminated, and there are metal rods at the front of the chair between the arms and the seat. Also would like to know the chairs value. Thank you.

without a label there is not way anyone can tell you who manufactured this rocker.  there were thousands of manufacturers in operation around 1900 when this was made.

the seat is laminated and the back veneered, as they were made.  very good condition.

i will guess you paid around 100-175.  in my shop i would price it at 275-300 after a bit of cleaning and waxing.

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

robert klein

In regards to American antique, vintage and collectible furniture I can help with wood identification, styles, age, periods, historical coatings, materials, techniques, repair, restoration, refinishing, and value. I do not study mid century and later furniture nor do I deal in lamps, and other smalls. You may ask for values and I will give you current market values, I will not give you 'feel good' values. Understand that there are many factors that contribute to market value. If you want a feel good, unrealistic number, please call a local inexperienced appraiser. It is my desire to help you and in doing so I increase my knowledge as well. For that I thank you.

I have been in the antiques furniture and restoration business and in the sales of antique furniture for 40+ years and have continued my education in the trade attending workshops and seminars by various organizations, institutions, and private collectors.

Professional Refinishers Groop, Int., AIC, Antiques Dealers Association

BA Florida State University BA University of West Florida 1971