Collectibles-General (Antiques)/rope bed

chiseled slot
chiseled slot  
I have a rope bed that is like none I have seen before. It is handmade, wood dowels, handmade 7" nail threaded into screws, you can see the chisel marks in the holes in the posts for the side rails. I would like to know the age, style and how rare this bed is. Thank you

Steve - Your bed is probably a "site made" bed, crafted by the original user who did not have access to a lathe to turn the posts as was the style of the period. The style can only be described as "local." This was typical of beds of the early 19th century. Beds that could be disassembled and loaded onto a wagon were very popular in the expansion phase of the new country in the first half of the 19th century.

Hand made rope beds are not rare. Most of this period sell at auction in the $100-$200 range as would yours.

Thanks for writing.

Fred Taylor  

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

Fred Taylor

I will attempt to answer questions about American antique furniture, including construction details, style, period, manufacturers, care, repair and storage. I do not have any background in appliances, musical instruments, sewing machines, trunks, lighting, clocks or children's and baby furniture and will not respond to questions about those items.

I ran an antique furniture restoration business for twenty years. I am a nationally syndicated columnist on the subject of antique furniture for such publications as Antique Week and New England Antiques Journal. I have produced one video on the subject of furniture identification and my book "HOW TO BE A FURNITURE DETECTIVE" is now available.I have also published articles in Antique Trader, Chicago Art Deco Society, Northeast Magazine, Victorian Decorating and Lifestyles, Professional Refinishing, Antiques and Art Around Florida and Antique Shoppe. You can visit my website at

BSBA Finance, University of Florida, MBA Finance, University of Florida