Collectibles-General (Antiques)/rope bed

Question
bed
bed  

chiseled slot
chiseled slot  
I have a rope bed that is like none I have seen before. It is handmade, wood dowels, handmade 7" nail threaded into screws, you can see the chisel marks in the holes in the posts for the side rails. I would like to know the age, style and how rare this bed is. Thank you

Answer
Steve - Your bed is probably a "site made" bed, crafted by the original user who did not have access to a lathe to turn the posts as was the style of the period. The style can only be described as "local." This was typical of beds of the early 19th century. Beds that could be disassembled and loaded onto a wagon were very popular in the expansion phase of the new country in the first half of the 19th century.

Hand made rope beds are not rare. Most of this period sell at auction in the $100-$200 range as would yours.

Thanks for writing.

Fred Taylor
www.furnituredetective.com
info@furnituredetective.com  

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

Fred Taylor