Collectibles-General (Antiques)/Sligh Bedroom Set

I have come across a Sligh Bedroom Set and would like any information you could provide(age, realistic value) Anything would be helpful!!! Pictures have been e-mailed and can tell you more than I could!!

Thank you,

Scott – Sligh Furniture Co was established in Grand Rapids in 1880 by Charles R. Sligh. It operated until 1932 when it liquidated its assets and closed. The proceeds were used to establish a new company, Charles R. Sligh Co.

Your set was made in the late 1920s to very early 1930s. The mirror will have the date on it. All  20th century American plate mirror included in furniture is dated by law. The date is in dark gray on the gray side of the mirror glass itself. You will have to remove any paper or wood backing to see the back of the glass and the date. This is further explained and illustrated in my book “HOW TO BE A FURNITURE DETECTIVE” found on my website.  In some cases there is no date. This may be because the original mirror has been replaced, the mirror has been resilvered or the mirror was not made in the United States.

The fancy wood is avodire veneer, a West African fancy exotic that was not introduced until the 1929 catalog.

The set is a Revival mix style that includes elements of Rococo and Federal styles. All of the decorative painting was done by hand.

A similar set sold at auction in Chicago at Leslie Hindeman Auctioneers in 2010 for $600.

Your set would sell in the same range - $500-$750.

Thanks for writing and thanks for the excellent photos.

Fred Taylor  

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

Fred Taylor

I will attempt to answer questions about American antique furniture, including construction details, style, period, manufacturers, care, repair and storage. I do not have any background in appliances, musical instruments, sewing machines, trunks, lighting, clocks or children's and baby furniture and will not respond to questions about those items.

I ran an antique furniture restoration business for twenty years. I am a nationally syndicated columnist on the subject of antique furniture for such publications as Antique Week and New England Antiques Journal. I have produced one video on the subject of furniture identification and my book "HOW TO BE A FURNITURE DETECTIVE" is now available.I have also published articles in Antique Trader, Chicago Art Deco Society, Northeast Magazine, Victorian Decorating and Lifestyles, Professional Refinishing, Antiques and Art Around Florida and Antique Shoppe. You can visit my website at

BSBA Finance, University of Florida, MBA Finance, University of Florida