Collectibles-General (Antiques)/Standard Company Red Cedar Chest

Cedar Chest
Cedar Chest  
Standard Red Cedar Chest
Standard Red Cedar Che  
I have been asked to refinish my Mother in-laws' Bench seat style red cedar chest. This was handed down to her by her grand mother. The reseach I have done on this peice is that the Standard Red Cedar Chest company is now called Lane Furniture. They are sending me the lock, latch, and key to this chest. My question is what type of finish should I use on the outside? And since I( like a fool) removed the stencil STYLE.NO.2843 on the bottom what can I use to replicate that? Should anything be done to the inside of the chest? I do have more Pictures if these two do not help.

ANSWER: to replicate the stencil, make one at the print shop.

did you sand the old finish off? strip it off?

inside should be sanded by hand and then left alone, no finish on the interior.

the exterior should be done in lacquer if you are proficient at spraying lacquers.  if not dont start now and dont use poly.

what is your experience applying finishes and applying stains??

QUESTION: There was not mush finish left so I have sanded as much as I could. I'm at 220 grit now but there are a good bit of marks remaining which is why I was concerned about the finish. I didn't want something that would exaggerate the marks.
Spraying lacquer would be simpler, however I don't have a spray gun and I have not seen good results with the spray cans. I have helped the local boat yard apply lacquer to trim on a teak deck. They would apply the (thinned out) lacquer with a fine nap roller then smooth it with a fine camels hair brush. The finish appeared to be sprayed and clean (no brush marks)

backing up, the finish should have been chemically stripped off not sanded off.  220 is finer than needed.  use 180 and go for an eveness in color, dont worry about butt smooth.

it would be unlikely that lacquer was used on exterior wood.  more likely sikkens or a varnigh of some sort, perhaps a spar urathane but lacquer is very unlikely.

stain then shellac will work  rub between coats of clear.

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

robert klein

In regards to American antique, vintage and collectible furniture I can help with wood identification, styles, age, periods, historical coatings, materials, techniques, repair, restoration, refinishing, and value. I do not study mid century and later furniture nor do I deal in lamps, and other smalls. You may ask for values and I will give you current market values, I will not give you 'feel good' values. Understand that there are many factors that contribute to market value. If you want a feel good, unrealistic number, please call a local inexperienced appraiser. It is my desire to help you and in doing so I increase my knowledge as well. For that I thank you.

I have been in the antiques furniture and restoration business and in the sales of antique furniture for 40+ years and have continued my education in the trade attending workshops and seminars by various organizations, institutions, and private collectors.

Professional Refinishers Groop, Int., AIC, Antiques Dealers Association

BA Florida State University BA University of West Florida 1971