Collectibles-General (Antiques)/structure of chairs

Question
I am wondering why antique chairs, mine is a cane seat rocking chair, are so low to the ground?  Is it because people were shorter-smaller.  My chair doesn't seem to be intended for a child, it has a high back.

Answer
Don - Your chair is probably a sewing or nursing rocker. The low armless rocker became popular in the late 19th century as a chair devoted entirely to feminine tasks. It was included as a standard part of many late 19th century bedroom suites. This custom continued through the Depression era of the 1930s.

Here is a typical example.
http://www.liveauctioneers.com/item/9931004

Fred Taylor
www.furnituredetective.com
info@furnituredetective.com  

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

Fred Taylor