Collectibles-General (Antiques)/Can you tell me anything about this piece

Question
Vanity
Vanity  
QUESTION: Hello i am considering purchasing this piece but Id like to know about this piece also if you know anything about the value.  This is the only photo I currently have.

ANSWER: This does not look like an antique, I need to see a photo of the back of vanity to tell you more.

QUESTION: Can u tell me what to look for on the back.  Can u tell me anything about this piece.  Do u think I'm getting ripped off if I pay $150 for it?

ANSWER: Consider what it would cost to purchase a piece a IKEA, for $150 dollars you would get junk that you would have to throw away in a few years. Getting ripped off is when you purchase an item for thousands of dollars and it is worth only one hundred. This is not the case, go to a few antique stores or used furniture stores and compare the prices, you will see what you get for $150 dollars. I need to see a photo of the back of the vanity to tell you the age, and see the construction technique used, this is not something I can tell you to look for, you would have to know how to date a piece of furniture and know what techniques were used in the manufacturing process.  Without a photo I can not tell you more.

QUESTION: Well thank you for making me feel better about the purchase, I am picking it up today and I will inspect it and take a lot better photos so you can tell me more hopefully.  My only question is now is there anything I should look out for before buying something (my dad says termites).  Can you think of anything else?  Thank you for answering all my questions

Answer
In general, first you must love what you purchase, second you must be sure of that is being described to you is really what they say it is and it is worth the value they have given it.  If you are purchasing something over $1000 dollars it is probably worth hiring an expert .

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

Michael Andrew Wilson