Collectibles-General (Antiques)/Veneer Wood Type on Waterfall Table

Veneer Wood Type on Waterfall Table 1
Veneer Wood Type on Wa  

Veneer Wood Type on Waterfall Table 2
Veneer Wood Type on Wa  
Hello, Robert - it's been awhile since I spoke with you last.

I am refinishing a waterfall dining room table and have stripped the table top. To me the wood looks like mahogany but the dark brown color is really confusing me. No searching that I have done talks about such brown mahogany.

I'll be straight up tell you that I asked a different web site about the wood and a few fellow refinishers responded that the wood was teak. The reason that I would appreciate your input is that I think you would have a good sense about whether or not this type of furniture from this era would ever be teak.

think walnut; although remember that the color you see on the surface, although brown, could have been redder then faded.  color is only one factor in woods identification.  teak it is not.

i need clear and close pictures of the wood grain with no glare to be sure

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

robert klein

In regards to American antique, vintage and collectible furniture I can help with wood identification, styles, age, periods, historical coatings, materials, techniques, repair, restoration, refinishing, and value. I do not study mid century and later furniture nor do I deal in lamps, and other smalls. You may ask for values and I will give you current market values, I will not give you 'feel good' values. Understand that there are many factors that contribute to market value. If you want a feel good, unrealistic number, please call a local inexperienced appraiser. It is my desire to help you and in doing so I increase my knowledge as well. For that I thank you.

I have been in the antiques furniture and restoration business and in the sales of antique furniture for 40+ years and have continued my education in the trade attending workshops and seminars by various organizations, institutions, and private collectors.

Professional Refinishers Groop, Int., AIC, Antiques Dealers Association

BA Florida State University BA University of West Florida 1971