Collectibles-General (Antiques)/Bally E-series

Good day,

I acquired an e-series machine that is in pieces but it seems all there and I got parts from a second one with it. This is my first machine but I have been fixing pinball machines for a while now so I am not a stranger to older Bally technology.

However, there are some similarities but of course it is not quite the same.  I have read and research a lot but I can't figure out if my machine is a 1000 or a 2000. The plate is missing and I believe she had had some type of upgrade because the boards have rev B written on them.

My question is related to the boards.  I don't have a big board on the left side of the reels but the boards are located below the reels.  Three small boards located beside a power supply.  One of the board has a battery etc.

I can take some pictures but I thought you may know which type it is without a picture.  The machine was custom made for a casino in Nassau if my research is right.

Thank you for your help

Or: The E1 hopper board can be used in an E2 machine by moving pin 8 of the harness to pin 9, to use an E2 hopper board in an E1
move the wire from pin 9 to pin 8.
I actually prefer to just jumper those connections together so that it will work in either machine because pin 9 is not used on the E1
and pin 8 is not used on the E2

Thank You
Rodger Knutson

Hi Gilles,

Great Questions, and here is some information that you will need and want to know. The e-1's or (E-1000 Series machines) were made early and first, and followed by the later e-2's or (E-2000 series machines), with the "E" standing for Electronic. Now, back then Bally used up some of the  e-1 series boards in the early e-2 machines. So, it's best to know what boards you have in you machine first before you do anything. The I.O. board on the back wall is interchangeable with the E-1's and E-2's but not the rest of the boards. The real reader boards on a e-1 are 50 volts, and the E-2's are 5 Volts. Also the hoper boards are different and not interchangeable between these two machine "EXCEPT!" A e-1 compleate hopper and a E-2 compleate hopper will interchange IF AND ONLY IF, you swap the complete hopper which includes the hopper board and the wiring, just the boards by themselves, WILL NOT interchange! There are a bunch of Bally E-Series Manuals available at this web site:

Listed there among them, you will also find the Bally E Series Board Schematic manual, this will describe each of the boards in both machines, and you identify the boards using the boards assembly (Asy Numbers) stamped on all Bally boards to be sure just what board you have, like the E-1 50 volt and the E-2 5 volt reel reader boards, they use different assembly numbers so you can tell right away by looking in the board schematic manual just which one it is for. Now for your question: just for a quick check to see if your MPU board is a e-1 or a e-2 MPU. Look at the MPU battery, that is a Nicad battery that recharges on the MPU board, and it's a 3.6 volt AA sized battery with solder tabs. Anyway, here we go: The Battery on a E-2000 series MPU board solders directly to the MPU board. The battery on the E-1000 series MPU board solders on to a removable piggy back RAM board, and that RAM board can be removed from the MPU. So if it has a Ram board it is a E-1000 series MPU, if it doesn't have the piggy back Ram board it's a E-2000 series MPU board. A lot of Bally machine boards get screwed up and damaged by interchange them from e-1 games to e-2 games and NOT Knowing that for the most part, this is very wrong, and you can burn out all the reel reader boards by interchanging them between the e-1 and the e-2, and same with other boards. So You need to know what your doing. The best tip I have for you here Gilles, get some manuals and know your boards so you can keep your boards safe and protected. These Bally boards are getting more and more scare everyday. I have Bally E parts, so if needed, you can always get in touch with me at NOW for some really great information for everyone here.

My friend Dan, has just bought a N.O.S. (new old stock) Bally E series bench tester complete with everything, and a boxes of NOS IC's and other NOS parts! He is a great friend and does a lot of work updating and adding new stuff on my web site. He has even added a free slot machine data base that you can use anytime 24/7 (There is a link to this data page on the fist page of web site at of slot machine information, game proms, glass numbers, reel strips numbers, percentages, game kit information, and tons more being updated all the time for many different makes and models of slot machines. So, in couple of months or so we just might have a new, and I think the only one now, Bally "E" Series Board repair guy again! Keep an eye on my web site for information regarding this and when he is up to speed for repairing Bally E boards, and he has all this equipment in place, at his ready, and has educated himself on the use of the "E" testing equipment and then he will be ready to do repairs and keep our great "E" machines running. I myself, am very excited about this, and I am really happy I was able to find this equipment for him, and talk him into going into this full time.

I hope this information is helpful to you.

Thank You
Rodger Knutson  

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

Rodger Knutson

I am an expert on old coin operated machines, slot machines, trade stimulator's, jukeboxes, old arcade machines, etc. I have been identifying these for people who respond to my web site listed below, for a few years now. In almost all cases I am able to tell them about their old coin operated machines, the year, the value, and other general information about their machines. I do not know much about soda vending machines, coin banks, or scales, but I will try to help you with these if I can. Please email photo's to: My web site is at:

I bought my first slot machine, a .50 Cent Mills Black Cherry in 1969 and have been hooked from that time, I still have that Slot machine! Before that I found a open barrel full of old scraped jukebox wall boxes behind a restaurant, I wanted them all but never took a one of them. Anything that took a coin drove me nuts!

C.O.C.A. and other slot and coin operated machine groups, associations, groups, and clubs.

Many, the Coinslot magazine, always juken, Coin Slot Journal, Slot Box Collector, and others that I don’t remember at this time.

Graduated from Ballard High School in 1969, went to Edison Technical Collage for a couple of years taking welding and metal fabrication, tig, mig, heliarc, also arc and gas welding and fabrication. Then Apprenticed under a slot machine technician who worked in the slot machine industry Reno Nevada, and set up bar poker progressive machines in the casino's, and repaired machine and did the repairs on slot machine circuit boards there. He also was involved in the 2 hand dealer's market and bought and sold machines at the casinos auctions for the secondary market, which includes selling used machine overseas. I learned a ton from this man; he always had the correct answers and took the time to teach me the business. My interest and knowledge in other and older coin operated machine is for the most part, self-taught. It's been my passion from back in 1968 and before, my thirst for knowledge about these machines has kept me more interested over the years, and keeps me searching for more information even today. I have meet and talked to book authors on these machines, attended hundreds of coin operated shows and auctions, and I stay with that to this very day.

Take a look at my allexperts rating, and my guest book, links to these are at Also you can check my 100 percent rating on ebay, as I have been there with ebay from their day one, I am user coinslots at ebay. My other awards come from the very people that I deal with, I always make them happy, no matter what it takes, but they always are happy anyway as the countless thank you letters testify to me, so I know I am doing right, and the best I can. I have found so many hard to find parts for people, I hunt them down and don't stop until I find what is needed to get that customers machine running again and back to life, that is my main goal.

Client privacy prevents this answer, as some are VIP and famous and I will not betray the trust.