Collectibles-General (Antiques)/1967 Thomasville Dining Set

I was curious as to what type of wood this 1967 Thomasville dining set is made out of? Is it solid or veneer? Also, how much is a set like this worth in today's market? I'm supposed to be purchasing this set on Friday (1/18/2013) and just want to make sure that I'm getting a good quality piece of furniture at the right price. I really appreciate your response! I'm not sure if I followed your direction correctly on Please forgive me if I did something incorrectly; this is my first time trying this out. Just to let you know the set comes with 6 original caned backed chairs.

im glad you got the set and that it was in good condition.  it was a good buy.  the breakfront or china in a resale store or antiques mall would sell at more than double what you paid for the set.

the materials used on the case furniture will be a veneer over a man made material.

you said in your email the price was 300.  if it is in good condition, if the chairs ar solid and do not need gluing or re-caning then you will be paying for the six chairs and getting the rest for free.  condition is the issue, all furniture of this vintage is manufactured the same.

if chairs have to be reglued that will cost 150-225 each, re-caning will cost 150 each.  check for any swelling at the bottoms of the case pieces towards the rear of the sides.  swelling would indicate they have been wet.  look underneath the case pieces for mold.  

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

robert klein

In regards to American antique, vintage and collectible furniture I can help with wood identification, styles, age, periods, historical coatings, materials, techniques, repair, restoration, refinishing, and value. I do not study mid century and later furniture nor do I deal in lamps, and other smalls. You may ask for values and I will give you current market values, I will not give you 'feel good' values. Understand that there are many factors that contribute to market value. If you want a feel good, unrealistic number, please call a local inexperienced appraiser. It is my desire to help you and in doing so I increase my knowledge as well. For that I thank you.

I have been in the antiques furniture and restoration business and in the sales of antique furniture for 40+ years and have continued my education in the trade attending workshops and seminars by various organizations, institutions, and private collectors.

Professional Refinishers Groop, Int., AIC, Antiques Dealers Association

BA Florida State University BA University of West Florida 1971