Collectibles-General (Antiques)/Acorn Gumball Machine

Acorn Gumball Machine
Acorn Gumball Machine  
Hi Frank,

I was reading some posts and came across yours regarding Vintage Gumball Machines. We have owned this one for around 10 years. We are in dire need of a replacement key. Can you help or direct us? Would really appreciate any information you could provide. Any idea what the value is. We have used it for gumballs and know it works well, lost the key.

LuAnn Ray

Hi LuAnn. I'm Jack. Your machine looks to be in good condition.  Oak (Acorn) machines
were made in large numbers and are considered entry level collectibles. The value of
your machine is in the $60 to $100 range, depending on condition. I would guess the
value at the high end of the price range. I would recommend that you take the machine to a qualified locksmith. If he is a real locksmith and not just a "key cutter", he should
be able to pick the lock and make a new key for it. You could also drill out the lock.
It is hard to do with that kind of lock as it is screwed to the threaded center rod.
If you drill too far, the threads will be destroyed and then no lock will work.
Locks are readily available for the machine, depending on the thread size. If you do
end up drilling the lock successfully, I can help you find a new lock. The moral of
this experience is: Don't ever lose the key. Regards,  Jack

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

Jack Freund

I have 35 years experience in the coin op field, specializing in old gumball and peanut machines. Also trade stimulators, especially turn of the century cigar store machines, both cast iron and wooden machines.

I have owned over 3000 coin operated machines. Much knowledge comes from experience as there is not a lot of documented information on many coin operated machines. Experience is the teacher.

Coin Operated Collector's Association

I host a column in the C.O.C.A. Times, (the magazine for members of the Coin Operated Collector's Association). The column is titled "Tales Of The Hunt" and features stories and comments about member's great (and sometimes not so great) finds.

I have been a dealer at the Chicagoland Slot Machine and Coin Op show since it started. Look for me in Booth F-09. Stop by with your questions or photos. I'll try to help you or buy your machine if you prefer.