Collectibles-General (Antiques)/Antique Rope Bed

Question
Antique Rope Bed
Antique Rope Bed  
Mr. Taylor,
I have aquired an antique rope bed and would like to know the value of it.  I don't even know how old it is.  It is in excellent condition.  I have attached a photo to help.  Thanks for any help you can provide!

Answer
Kristi - That is an unusual arrangement for the rope. Rope beds usually have ropes in two direction, lengthwise and crossways like this one.
http://www.liveauctioneers.com/item/15077362_red-stained-wooden-rope-bed

It appears the side rails with the spindles for the cross ropes may have been replaced or the spindles removed.

The bed appears to be factory made in the late 19th century in Colonial Revival style.

It would sell at auction in the $100 range.

Thanks for writing.

Fred Taylor
www.furnituredetective.com
info@furnituredetective.com  

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

Fred Taylor