Collectibles-General (Antiques)/Antique Sideboard/China Cabinet

Question
Front
Front  

Close up
Close up  
I received an antique China cabinet from my grandmother's estate. She was the original owner of the piece, and I believe, received it as part of a wedding gift from my grandfather. I don't know much about it, though, other than what I was able to decipher from one of the two partial labels on the back. It was manufactured by Easton Furniture Mfg Co. Easton, MD. I was interested to find out if there is a way to place a value on it, and also if there is a way to find out the model name/number. I am not interested in selling the piece, but would love to know more about it. Thank you for your time and response.

Caitlin B.

Answer
it is a william and mary style china cabinet made in the 1910-1920s time slot.

a model number you will never know unless it is printed on the back, it is really of no importance.  often there would be a stenciled number on the backs of furniture denoting the style or color numbers but these were proprietary to the company making the piece.

you will see this form in the jacobean style as well but the trumpet shaped legs say william and mary.

it is wonderful that it stills wears the original finish.  do not strip, use toluene free briwax in the antique mahogany color and wax it well.

the wood gran in teh pierced work is mahogany veneer on the face.  the wood in the second picture is most likely tulip poplar.

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

robert klein