Collectibles-General (Antiques)/Drop Leaf Table and Matching Chairs

Question
Chair
Chair  
Table
Table  
QUESTION: Mr. Klein, thank you for your time. We have a drop leaf dining room table set with chairs that we would like to sell and wondered if you had an idea of current market value. We believe the set was originally purchased from the Sears catalog around the turn of the century. The set includes 6 chairs and 2 extension leaves. Photos are attached.

Best,

Eric

ANSWER: look at the top edge of the chair back, is it one piece of made of 3-5 pieces.

are the hip braces metal or wood?  slot or phillips screw.

any nails or screws on the under side of the rungs where they fasten into the legs?

table is either chestnut or ash.

waiting for your reply...

Chair1
Chair1  

Chair2
Chair2  
QUESTION: Thank you for your quick reply. In answer to your questions:

- the top edge of the chair back is all one piece;

- the hip braces are wood and the screws are slot; and

- there are no nails or screws on the under side of the rungs.

I have attached a couple of close-up photos of those areas.

Answer
thanks.  the first picture showing the way the back attached to the seat post told me the age story.  they were in such good condition i was concerned they might be from 1975-85.  but they are truly from 1885-1900.

chair seat looks to be elm, the post possibly cherry.

It is possible it was sold through sears at that time.  they didnt manufacturer but were resellers.  you can have some fun going to the bookstore and looking at the reproduction sears catalogs.

where are you located, that affects resale pricing.

here, i would price the chairs at 225 each but it would be a slow sale due to the reproductons on the market.  the table, if you have the fifth leg, I would price at 800.  these are in shop prices here.

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

robert klein