Collectibles-General (Antiques)/Elite Furniture Co

Question
desk
desk  

elite tables
elite tables  
Hi I am wondering if you could tell me what year this desk was made and an approximate value in perfect condition and an approximate value in condition shown in pics. I know the company was established in 1909 so it can't be an antique but does it have any value? It is marked Elite Furniture Co. Jamestown, NY and has 796 stamped on bottom. Most of the desk appears to be in good condition except the top needs to be refinished.

Thank you in advance!

Christina

Answer
Christina - Nice looking desk. The style of course is Chippendale. The wood is mahogany solids and mahogany veneer. The veneer on the front is crotch cut mahogany veneer. Crotch cut veneer is cut from the intersection of a large branch with the trunk or the intersection of two large branches. That creates the "flame" or "feather" pattern seen in the veneer. The decorative molding around the top is called gadrooning.

The desk was probably made in the late 1940s to early 1950s. The company closed in 1952. In perfect condition it would sell at auction in the $500 range. In its current condition it would sell in the $150-$200 range.

Thanks for writing.

Fred Taylor
www.furnituredetective.com
info@furnituredetective.com  

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

Fred Taylor