Collectibles-General (Antiques)/Elite Furniture Co

elite tables
elite tables  
Hi I am wondering if you could tell me what year this desk was made and an approximate value in perfect condition and an approximate value in condition shown in pics. I know the company was established in 1909 so it can't be an antique but does it have any value? It is marked Elite Furniture Co. Jamestown, NY and has 796 stamped on bottom. Most of the desk appears to be in good condition except the top needs to be refinished.

Thank you in advance!

Christina - Nice looking desk. The style of course is Chippendale. The wood is mahogany solids and mahogany veneer. The veneer on the front is crotch cut mahogany veneer. Crotch cut veneer is cut from the intersection of a large branch with the trunk or the intersection of two large branches. That creates the "flame" or "feather" pattern seen in the veneer. The decorative molding around the top is called gadrooning.

The desk was probably made in the late 1940s to early 1950s. The company closed in 1952. In perfect condition it would sell at auction in the $500 range. In its current condition it would sell in the $150-$200 range.

Thanks for writing.

Fred Taylor  

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

Fred Taylor

I will attempt to answer questions about American antique furniture, including construction details, style, period, manufacturers, care, repair and storage. I do not have any background in appliances, musical instruments, sewing machines, trunks, lighting, clocks or children's and baby furniture and will not respond to questions about those items.

I ran an antique furniture restoration business for twenty years. I am a nationally syndicated columnist on the subject of antique furniture for such publications as Antique Week and New England Antiques Journal. I have produced one video on the subject of furniture identification and my book "HOW TO BE A FURNITURE DETECTIVE" is now available.I have also published articles in Antique Trader, Chicago Art Deco Society, Northeast Magazine, Victorian Decorating and Lifestyles, Professional Refinishing, Antiques and Art Around Florida and Antique Shoppe. You can visit my website at

BSBA Finance, University of Florida, MBA Finance, University of Florida