Collectibles-General (Antiques)/Huntley vanity

Huntley vanity
Huntley vanity  

Huntley vanity
Huntley vanity  
I recently purchased a Huntley vanity for $75 to refinish as a small desk for my daughter.  The vanity has 1905 3/4 vanity stamped on the back and has the Huntley medallion on the inside center drawer.  There is no mirror.  We have started to sand it and the wood is a light yellowish color.  The picture I attached with the drawer pull shows the finish on it when we purchased it.  The other attached picture shows the left side after we have begun sanding;  we have not started on the right side yet.  The vanity is in very good condition and I have not seen another like it.
Do you think 1905 is the year or model?
What type of wood do you think it might be?
Do you know what the original finish would have been?
Did I make a good investment?
Thank you for your time and help.

if it is your intent to go to the bare wood you should be using paint stripper and not trying to sand it off.

if you are going to repaint then light sanding, priming and color coating it the thing to do.  a repaint is the better option here.

as to the wood i cant tell since i cant see it, might be mahogany veneer, most are.  

it was made in the 20-40s.

you did well, just dont overwork yourself.  light sand then paint.  you will not like it if you have to strip it and you will never get it sanded off.  

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

robert klein

In regards to American antique, vintage and collectible furniture I can help with wood identification, styles, age, periods, historical coatings, materials, techniques, repair, restoration, refinishing, and value. I do not study mid century and later furniture nor do I deal in lamps, and other smalls. You may ask for values and I will give you current market values, I will not give you 'feel good' values. Understand that there are many factors that contribute to market value. If you want a feel good, unrealistic number, please call a local inexperienced appraiser. It is my desire to help you and in doing so I increase my knowledge as well. For that I thank you.

I have been in the antiques furniture and restoration business and in the sales of antique furniture for 40+ years and have continued my education in the trade attending workshops and seminars by various organizations, institutions, and private collectors.

Professional Refinishers Groop, Int., AIC, Antiques Dealers Association

BA Florida State University BA University of West Florida 1971