Collectibles-General (Antiques)/Macey Barrister Bookcase

Macey 3-stack
Macey 3-stack  
I have a Macey Barrister 3 stack bookcase.  (stacks # 35-8, 35-10, & 35-12)  Each stack has three windows.  One window is cracked and one back leg has been replaced.  With the exception on that one leg, everything is original.  I am looking for a fair asking price.

Jackie - The value of Macey and Globe-Wernicke bookcases has declined slightly in the last few years. Ten years ago they sold in the $150-$250 per section range. Now they are more in the $75-$150 range.

Here is a bookcase very similar to yours that sold at auction in June 2012 for $425.

Given the minor problems with yours that would seem to be a very fair price.  

Thanks for writing.

Fred Taylor  

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

Fred Taylor

I will attempt to answer questions about American antique furniture, including construction details, style, period, manufacturers, care, repair and storage. I do not have any background in appliances, musical instruments, sewing machines, trunks, lighting, clocks or children's and baby furniture and will not respond to questions about those items.

I ran an antique furniture restoration business for twenty years. I am a nationally syndicated columnist on the subject of antique furniture for such publications as Antique Week and New England Antiques Journal. I have produced one video on the subject of furniture identification and my book "HOW TO BE A FURNITURE DETECTIVE" is now available.I have also published articles in Antique Trader, Chicago Art Deco Society, Northeast Magazine, Victorian Decorating and Lifestyles, Professional Refinishing, Antiques and Art Around Florida and Antique Shoppe. You can visit my website at

BSBA Finance, University of Florida, MBA Finance, University of Florida