Collectibles-General (Antiques)/Oak Empire Revival Pedestal Dining Table

Pedestal Table
Pedestal Table  

Slide Mechanism
Slide Mechanism  
Dear Bob,

My husband and I recently acquired this pedestal dining table with two leaves for a song at a thrift shop.  My husband, who is a budding furniture nerd, believes that all signs point to this being an old table.  The construction is extremely solid.  It appears to be oak, with no veneer.  The shape of the feet lead us to believe it may be Empire Revival.  The slide mechanism is all wood, but we do not know if the slides are original or if they were replaced at some point.  The two leaves do not appear to be original to the table, as they seem to have been repinned to fit.  

There is no maker's mark, although you can see the staples where a maker's tag once lived.  On the very bottom inside of the pedestal (if you turn the table upside down), the number 80 is embossed on the wood.

Any info you can give to help us date the piece, or (even better) identify a possible maker, would be appreciated.  We originally had intended to resell this table, but it is starting to grow on us and now we think we might just keep it...

We have more photos if that would help, including closeups of the embossed number and feet.  Thanks!

the pictures are too small to tell if the platform or scroll feet are veneered.  if you can see the layers glued up to make the feet then it is not veneered.

the table is built like an old one around 1900.  the stamped number is either a style number of factory number of some sort to match parts or runs.

it is what is referred to as empire oak.  empire revival works too but does not differentiate it from the mass of birch and mahogany empire revival items made.

since there were thousands of manufactures in operation, without the label no one can tell you which company made this.

check the ends of the leaves to see how well they math, that is a better gauge of whether or not they were original to the table, also check the color underneath the leaves compared to under the top. should be close.

Collectibles-General (Antiques)

robert klein

In regards to American antique, vintage and collectible furniture I can help with wood identification, styles, age, periods, historical coatings, materials, techniques, repair, restoration, refinishing, and value. I do not study mid century and later furniture nor do I deal in lamps, and other smalls. You may ask for values and I will give you current market values, I will not give you 'feel good' values. Understand that there are many factors that contribute to market value. If you want a feel good, unrealistic number, please call a local inexperienced appraiser. It is my desire to help you and in doing so I increase my knowledge as well. For that I thank you.

I have been in the antiques furniture and restoration business and in the sales of antique furniture for 40+ years and have continued my education in the trade attending workshops and seminars by various organizations, institutions, and private collectors.

Professional Refinishers Groop, Int., AIC, Antiques Dealers Association

BA Florida State University BA University of West Florida 1971